Welcome to our first Fifteenth Day post! We’re rounding up all the news for the Fearless Fifteeners in the last month (or so, since we’re just getting started). If you want to know how we became Fearless Fifteeners and what we’ve been up to since then, read on!
Book Deals and Rights Sales
Jasmine Warga dishes on writing honestly, signing with Brenda Bowen, and selling MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES.
I.W. Gregorio shares the story of NONE OF THE ABOVE’s sale.
Laura Tims explains how Girl Scouts contributed to the sale of PLEASE DON’T TELL.
Lee Kelly shares a behind-the-scenes look at her submission process and MANHATTAN SAVAGES’s sale.
Krista Van Dolzer flashes back to the sales of her first two books (both of which will come out in 2015!), THE REGENERATED MAN and DUEL/DUET.
Interviews and Cool Posts
Susan Adrian educates us on how writing is like Candy Crush.
DiversifYA interviews our own Stacey Lee on growing up as an Asian American.
Stacked interviews writing team Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton about diversity, DARK POINTE, and how they came to collaborate.
Applications for 2015 debut MG and YA authors have been pouring in since we launched the site for the Fearless Fifteeners on October 15. Below is how we break down in terms of gender, genre, publisher, the things that make us run for cover, and the things we face without fear.
If a single person were created to represent the majority of us, that person would be a female author of a YA contemporary novel published by Harper Collins. She would be afraid of sharks and not afraid to take on new challenges (like writing a debut novel!)
In reality, though, we are a diverse group of people who live in the U.S., Canada, and England. We write everything from MG fantasy to YA historical fiction, and soon we will each introduce ourselves in more detail on this site. For now, here we are by the numbers.
- Women: 41
- Man: 1
- YA: 33
- MG: 9
Genres (we have information for 36 of the 42 members):
- Contemporary: 14
- Fantasy: 6
- Thriller/Suspense: 6
- Science Fiction: 2
- Mystery: 1
- Humor: 1
- Magical Realism: 1
- Horror: 1
- Dark Near-Future Multicultural: 1
- Verse Novel: 1
- Paranormal Mystery Romance: 1
- Historical Fiction: 1
- Harper Collins imprints: 13 (Harper Collins Children’s Books, HarperTeen, Balzer + Bray, Katherine Tegen Books)
- Penguin imprints: 9 (Dial, Viking, Putnam, Philomel, Razorbill)
- Macmillan imprints: 6 (St. Martin’s, Feiwel & Friends, Henry Holt, Roaring Brook Press)
- Simon & Schuster imprints: 5 (Simon & Schuster, Aladdin)
- Random House imprints: 4 (Knopf, Crown, Delacorte)
- Scholastic: 1
- Bloomsbury Children’s USA: 1
- Soho Teen: 1
- Little, Brown, & Company: 1
- Disney Hyperion: 1
- Jabberwocky: 1
Yes, we have 42 members and 43 publishers listed. One member, Krista Van Dolzer has two novels coming out in 2015!
Top 5 things we fear:
- Spiders and other creepy crawlers
Top 5 things we don’t fear:
- Challenges, stated as: taking on new things, taking risks, new challenges, change, starting over, being busy
- Failure/uncertainty, stated as: mayking miztakess being wrong, making a fool of myself, not knowing what what I’m doing
- And tying at two each: flying, heights, the dark, and the zombie apocalypse