In this week’s Q&A YA Wednesday, we’ve got, Becky Wallace, whose debut THE STORYSPINNER is out March 3, 2015. You can see the book blurb (and gorgeous cover), along with Becky’s bio at the end of the post—but first, you’ll want to see how she answers these quirky questions.
1. You wake up one morning and, OMG, you’re AN AVENGER! What’s the first thing you do with your new ability?
Teleport into Captain America’s arms.
2. Turns out your parents aren’t happy with your change. (But whhhhy?? Captain America is a nice guy! she says) What fictional character do you ask to help you get out of the bind, and how do they “fix” you?
Gandalf, for sure. If he can defeat the Balrog, he can certainly make Becky powerless again.
3. Back to normal, you arrive at school and literally crash into your crush. He/she asks you why you’re shaken up. What do you tell him/her?
Captain America and I made out—that was the good part, by the way—but my parents caught us and were so angry they sent me Gandalf who is apparently some sort of family friend. My punishment was to complete an arduous quest and maybe defeat a burning Balrog.
4. He/she isn’t convinced you’re telling the truth—after all, it’s a pretty far fetched story. He/she suggests going somewhere to talk about it more. Where’s this dream date taking place?
My crush is equal parts nerdy and charming, so he’d totally understand the Avengers and LOTR references. He’d give me a half hug and say, “That was an incredible dream, and I know a perfect place to finish it.” And would then escort me to the school’s back field where the student government had long ago planted a lovely weeping willow (because in my imaginary world, there are always romantic shady places near the school that no one else has ever discovered.) We’d spend the rest of the lunch period (remember, we’re good students) talking about our favorite fantastical literature, anime, and upcoming movies.
5. It might not be true love yet, but there is a Happily Ever After in your near future. As a Fearless Fifteener, your book is out this year. Tell us about it in 140 characters or less.
The Storyspinner: A case of mistaken identity exposes a young Performer to a danger she could never imagine and a secret her father died to protect.
ABOUT BECKY WALLACE
In second grade, Becky Wallace had to sit in the corner because she refused to write anything except princess stories and fairy tales (and because she talked too much). Her time in isolation gave her plenty of opportunities to dream up the fantasy worlds she’s been dabbling with ever since. She was lucky enough to find her own real-life Prince Charming. They have four munchkins and live in happy little town near Houston, Texas.
THE STORYSPINNER (The Keeper’s Chronicles #1)
Drama and danger abound in this fantasy realm where dukes play a game for the throne, magical warriors race to find the missing heir, and romance blossoms where it is least expected.
In a world where dukes plot their way to the throne, a Performer’s life can get tricky. And in Johanna Von Arlo’s case, it can be fatal. Expelled from her troupe after her father’s death, Johanna is forced to work for the handsome Lord Rafael DeSilva. Too bad they don’t get along. But while Johanna’s father’s death was deemed an accident, the Keepers aren’t so sure.
The Keepers, a race of people with magical abilities, are on a quest to find the princess—the same princess who is supposed to be dead and whose throne the dukes are fighting over. But they aren’t the only ones looking for her. And in the wake of their search, murdered girls keep turning up—girls who look exactly like the princess, and exactly like Johanna.
With dukes, Keepers, and a killer all after the princess, Johanna finds herself caught up in political machinations for the throne, threats on her life, and an unexpected romance that could change everything.