In this week’s Q&A YA Wednesday, we’ve got, Ilene Gregorio, whose debut NONE OF THE ABOVE is out April 7, 2015. You can see the book blurb, along with Ilene’s bio at the end of the post—but first, you’ll want to see how she answers these quirky questions.
1. You wake up one morning and, OMG, you’re A TELEPATH! What’s the first thing you do with your new ability?
2. Turns out your parents aren’t happy with your change. What fictional character do you ask to help you get out of the bind, and how do they “fix” you?
3. Back to normal, you arrive at school and literally crash into your crush. He/she asks you why you’re shaken up. What do you tell him/her?
4. He/she isn’t convinced you’re telling the truth—after all, it’s a pretty far fetched story. He/she suggests going somewhere to talk about it more. Where’s this dream date taking place?
5. It might not be true love yet, but there is a Happily Ever After in your near future. As a Fearless Fifteener, your book is out this year. Tell us about it in 140 characters or less.
ABOUT IRENE GREGORIO
I. W. Gregorio is a practicing surgeon by day, masked avenging YA writer by night. After getting her MD, she did her residency at Stanford, where she met the intersex patient who inspired her debut novel, NONE OF THE ABOVE (Balzer & Bray / HarperCollins, April 7, 2015.)
She is a founding member of We Need Diverse BooksTM and serves as its VP of Development. A recovering ice hockey player, she lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and two children. Find her online at http://www.iwgregorio.com, and on Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook and Instagram at @iwgregorio.
NONE OF THE ABOVE
What if everything you knew about yourself changed in an instant?
When Kristin Lattimer is voted homecoming queen, it seems like another piece of her ideal life has fallen into place. She’s a champion hurdler with a full scholarship to college and she’s madly in love with her boyfriend. In fact, she’s decided that she’s ready to take things to the next level with him.
But Kristin’s first time isn’t the perfect moment she’s planned—something is very wrong. A visit to the doctor reveals the truth: Kristin is intersex, which means that though she outwardly looks like a girl, she has male chromosomes, not to mention boy “parts.”
Dealing with her body is difficult enough, but when her diagnosis is leaked to the whole school, Kristin’s world completely unravels. With everything she thought she knew thrown into question, can she come to terms with her new self?
Incredibly compelling and sensitively told, NONE OF THE ABOVE is a thoughtprovoking novel that explores what it means to be a boy, a girl, or something in between.