In this week’s Q&A YA Wednesday, we’ve got, Angelica Jackson, whose debut CROW’S REST is out May 12, 2015. You can see the book blurb, along with Angelica’s bio at the end of the post—but first, you’ll want to see how she answers these quirky questions, which includes a great clip from a classic 80s flick.
1. You wake up one morning and, OMG, you’re A DOLL! What’s the first thing you do with your new ability?
Okay, I’m fessing up to using a random noun generator to make my answer more interesting—and I got “doll!” I am SO not a dolly kind of girl. BUT, if I woke up one morning and found I’d been turned into one, there could be some perks—I think I’d go into a big department store and pretend I was a mannequin, so I could mess about in the store after hours. And maybe I’d video it so I could end up with a tragically 80s montage of my hijinks as a doll/mannequin, a la the tragically 80s movie.
2. Turns out your parents aren’t happy with your change. What fictional character do you ask to help you get out of the bind, and how do they “fix” you?
Psssh, what’s not to like? A daughter who saves them a fortune in teenage skin and hair products because she’s made of plastic? But if they really want the “old me” back, I’m thinking Gepetto and/or the Blue Fairy would be the obvious way to go. Either way, there are more advantages to being a human than a doll, so I would eventually like to have my human form back.
3. Back to normal, you arrive at school and literally crash into your crush. He/she asks you why you’re shaken up. What do you tell him/her?
“Did you know that the food court at the department store is the best place to have Roomba Robot Rumbles? Seriously, those things get really competitive over kettle corn crumbs.”
4. He/she isn’t convinced you’re telling the truth—after all, it’s a pretty far fetched story. He/she suggests going somewhere to talk about it more. Where’s this dream date taking place?
The food court at the department store, after hours, of course. After an unnecessarily-convoluted plan, involving wacky distractions of the security guards, that gets us locked in the store.
5. It might not be true love yet, but there is a Happily Ever After in your near future. As a Fearless Fifteener, your book is out this year. Tell us about it in 140 characters or less.
My book has nothing to do with either dolls or department stores, but the main characters would be up for just about any kind of mischief.
ABOUT ANGELICA JACKSON
In keeping with her scattered Gemini nature, Angelica R. Jackson has far too many interests to list here.
She has an obsession with creating more writing nooks in the home she shares with her husband and two corpulent cats in California’s Gold Country. Fortunately, the writing nooks serve for reading and cat cuddling too.Other pastimes include cooking for food allergies (not necessarily by choice, but she’s come to terms with it), photography, and volunteering at a local no-kill cat sanctuary.
Avery Flynn arrives for a visit at her Uncle Tam’s, eager to rekindle her summertime romance with her crush-next-door, Daniel.
But Daniel’s not the sweet, neurotic guy she remembers–and she wonders if this is her Daniel at all. Or if someone–or something–has taken his place.
Her quest to find the real Daniel–and get him back–plunges Avery into a world of Fae and changelings, where creatures swap bodies like humans change their socks, and magic lives much closer to home than she ever imagined.